We are happy to announce that Brianna Valdez will be assisting in the direction of our extracurricular choir, Cantamus. Brianna graduated from TPA May of 2010, having sung in Cantamus all six years of her tenure here. All told she has sung in choirs 11 years and understands the needs and desires of young choral singers. Presently, Brianna studies filmmaking practices as an undergraduate in ASU’s School of Theatre and Film, part of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts. She sings with the acclaimed Women’s Chorus of ASU. Her duties will be to assist in finding compelling repertoire for Cantamus and its small ensembles and to rehearse with individuals and small groups. Welcome, Miss Valdez!
Here is one of the recordings of our performance of “Hallelujah” at the Scottsdale Fashion Square food court on Wednesday, December 22 at noon. The place was really jammed! The East Valley Tribune reported that police estimated the number of singers at 5,000. Enjoy! (You can see Mr. Greg Wilson former teacher at TPA at 3:37 in the Santa’s hat, playing — what else — a tambourine!)
Here is the information so far about the proposed Cantamus Trip, pending Board approval:
- Proposed dates: April 29 late evening through May 1 morning or afternoon
- Advanced vocal workshop in a Disney recording studio
- Includes a day in the two parks
- Approximate cost is $200 due February 1
- The red Cantamus shirt will be required, $10 for those who do not already own one
- To qualify to go on the trip, students must be members in good standing of Cantamus third and fourth quarters
Thanks to Mrs. Moffitt, Mrs. Ashton, and Mrs. Wolfe for their work in planning the trip.
Download a pdf file of the vocal score of the Hallelujah Chorus by clicking here:
10th and 11th grade music classes — your sheet music, folders, and CDs are due no later than Friday, 12:30 p.m. Unreturned CDs are assessed to your account at $10 per CD; octavos at $2 per item; and an additional charge for a folder not returned.
Extracurricular groups (Junior High Choir, JV Strings, Varsity Strings, TPA Winds, and Cantamus) — your sheet music, as specified by your director, is due on Thursday, 12:30 p.m.
Late fee — if you return your materials after the deadline, whether you are in 10th – 11th grade or an extracurricular group, the fee for the material will be removed from your account and a late fee will replace it.
Get that music in! Time is running out! Don’t forget!
Congratulations to every member of 10th Grade Choir, 11th Grade Choir, Varsity Strings, and Cantamus for an outstanding Mega Concert on Wednesday, December 1. You represented your school so well and created some beautiful music for an audience of approximately 400.
Excerpt from Mr. Hallman’s email to the faculty after the Wednesday evening concert:
For those who may have missed the performances last night, you missed an evening that serves as a great reminder of the magnificent work you all do. I remain in awe of the great performances of our “extracurricular” music groups, but perhaps am more impressed that EVERY student is brought to a level of proficient performance–EVERY student. And together you do this across the board. While most schools and districts have cut such programs, our fine arts programs remain an integral part of what we do and do well…. THANK YOU for … this inspiration.
- No regular rehearsal on Thursday morning (December 9).
- We will resume our regular rehearsals in the spring semester on Tuesday, January 4. We will concentrate on preparing for the chamber recital and the solo and ensemble festival and regional auditions.
- Chamber recital is at TPA Zelman on Thursday, January 20, 7pm. All participants in solo and ensemble festival and regional auditions can expect to perform in the Chamber Recital.
- Solo and Ensemble Festival and Regional Auditions take place on Friday and Saturday, January 28 and 29 at Mountain Ridge High School.
- I hope we’ll also be able to start our music for Fiddler on the Roof at our first spring semester rehearsal! Members of Cantamus will be the chorus in our production, which is scheduled to go up on Wednesday and Thursday, April 6 and 7, 7pm at Ed Options auditorium. Dress rehearsals are Saturday, April 2, 1-4 pm and Monday and Tuesday, April 4 and 5, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Please mark these dates in your calendar now!