Due to an oversight on my part last June, I scheduled the recorder concert at a time when the performance venue is unable to host it. I just recently discovered the problem and have worked to repair the mistake. The new date for the Recorder Concert is Thursday, April 4, 2013, 7:00 p.m. Cast call is at 5:30. The concert still is scheduled at EdOptions, Redemption Church. Please mark your calendar. The old date was March 27.
I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause your family. If it creates a serious, unavoidable conflict for you or your family, please let me know immediately.
Proper concert attire is required of all student performers. See TPA’s online calendar for more detail.
We appreciate having parent monitors to help the students know where they are supposed to be and when, to record their attendance, and to monitor their behavior. If you are available to help in this way, please let me know in an email.
Performance in the recorder concert is required of all 7th and 8th grade music students and counts as a test in my class.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Here’s the schedule for the last week of 7th Grade Music Class, 3rd quarter:
- 3/11, Monday: In class: Rehearsal; HW43: P&R (Practice and Report)
- 3/12, Tuesday: In class: Quiz 5 (Land of the Silver Birch); HW44: P&R
- 3/13, Wednesday: In class: Rehearsal; HW45: P&R
- 3/14, Thursday: In class: Quiz 6 (repertoire, TBD); finish recording all homework for the quarter; HW46: P&R
- 3/15, Friday: In class: Rehearsal; early release
Here’s the schedule for the last week of 8th Grade Music Class, 3rd quarter:
- 3/11, Monday: In class: Rehearsal, passed out repertoire requests form; HW43: P&R (Practice and Report)
- 3/12, Tuesday: In class: Allowed 20 minutes to finish Test 3; rehearsal; HW44: P&R
- 3/13, Wednesday: In class: Quiz 9 (Chedeville “March,” p. 134); HW45: P&R
- 3/14, Thursday: In class: Finish recording all homework for the quarter; HW46: P&R
- 3/15, Friday: In class: Quiz 10 (repertoire, TBD); early release
Students will want to see the forms they need to report their work.
When we return from break, we’ll have just two days of class and then, on Wednesday, we have the tech rehearsal and the performance! Exciting!
Have a wonderful break!
Today was the last rehearsal of Cantamus of the quarter. If you sang in it, thanks for a great rehearsal! Inspiring!
Thursday at 7:30 I’ll meet with the Cantamus Student Council to discuss the May repertoire.
While I have your attention, please congratulate All-State singers Nasrynn and Christopher. These are two powerful singers! They have joined the 200 best high school singers in the State as members of the All-State choir, which will rehearse and perform in Flagstaff April 18-20.
Our first rehearsal of fourth quarter will be Tuesday when we return, March 26, 7:00 a.m. I’ll see you then if not before!
8th grade music students can see the study guide for Friday’s test by clicking here.
Ms. Laura Strickland of Arizona Pro Arte contacted me about a free concert they are providing March 22 and 24. Ordinarily, their tickets are $15 and up, so you may want to take advantage of this opportunity. Here is the information:
- Brahms: Tragic Overture
- Stölzel: Genius Loci, Spirit of Place (Winner of Call for Scores competition)
- Faure: Requiem
Where and When
March 22nd, 2013, 7:00PM
- Paradise Valley United Methodist Church
- 4455 East Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley AZ
March 24th, 2013, 3:00PM
- La Casa de Cristo Lutheran Church
- 6300 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Here are the plans I shared with my 7th and 8th grade students. Note: plans do sometimes change due to student absences and other variables.
- Monday, 3/4. In class: Quiz 3: Scale Construction, Rehearsal. Homework 38: Pp. 81-82
- Tuesday, 3/5. In class: Review Quiz 3. Homework 39: Study for Test 3
- Wednesday, 3/6. In class: Test 3 over Unit 3. Homework 40: None
- Thursday, 3/7. In class: begin Unit 4, repertoire; Test 3 over Unit 3 (makeup for those who have been absent). Homework 41: To be determined
- Friday, 3/8. In class: Repertoire; Test 3 over Unit 3 (second makeup for those who have been absent). Homework 42: To be determined
We have had so many absences in 7b that I decided to schedule makeup sessions for the Test. We hopefully will not need the second one!
- Monday, 3/4. In class: Quiz 7: Major and relative key signatures. Pp. 107-108. Homework 38: Pp. 109-110
- Tuesday, 3/5. In class: Pp. 111-112. Homework 39: Pp. 113-114
- Wednesday, 3/6. In class: Quiz 8: Chord factors and cadences. Pp. 115-116. Homework 40: Pp. 117-118
- Thursday, 3/7.In class: Pp. 119-120. Review Quiz 8. Review for test. Homework 41: Study for Test 3
- Friday, 3/8. In class: Test 3 over Unit 3. Homework 42: None
After the tests, we will concentrate on getting our repertoire ready for the concert, which is on Wednesday, March 27! It counts in the grade just like a test.
Note: In order to prepare for the concert, all 8th grade students need to obtain (or find) their own copies of Enjoy Your Recorder M-1 by the Trapp Family Singers. (Yes, this is the same family we’ll be meeting in TPA’s production of The Sound of Music later this semester!) Some of the repertoire for the small ensembles is chosen from this book.
Note: to see the forms you’ll use for your self-evaluation of playing quizzes and the concert, go to the Music Class Downloads tab and click on “Forms.”