TPA sophomore JF in 10c is performing in the Valley Youth Theatre production of West Side Story with music by Leonard Bernstein and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. JF is playing violin in the orchestra.
While the production does not qualify for a concert review for music class, friends and members of the TPA community are encouraged to see this local production of one of the most influential works in American musical theatre — especially since one of our own is performing in it!
West Side Story plays August 8-24 at the Herberger Theater in downtown Phoenix. Visit Valley Youth Theatre or the Herberger website for tickets.
NB: Concerts acceptable for music class review must be live “classical” concerts at the level of college performers or above. Musical theater pieces (such as The Music Man and West Side Story) pop, and jazz concerts are not acceptable. Opera is acceptable. A symphony concert usually is acceptable unless it is a “pops,” jazz, or folk music concert.
Now is the time to get started performing with friends at TPA!
- Cantamus, high school choir, audition required. Tuesday and Thursday 7-8am. Contact Dr. Edward Wolfe, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sinfonia, high school orchestra, audition required. Open to select middle school students. Monday and Wednesday, 7-8am. Contact Mrs. Lenore Wilkison,
- Beginning Strings, middle school and high school students, no audition required. Friday, 7-8am. Contact Mrs. Lenore Wilkison,email@example.com
- Bel Canto junior high choir, no audition required. Monday, 3:00 – 4:05 p.m. Contact Mrs. Marlynn Rey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Percussion Club, high school and middle school students, no audition required. Will begin rehearsing in November. Contact Mr. Zach Tripoli, email@example.com. Rehearsal room to be arranged.
- Spring Musical, auditions first week of December, performances April 9-12. Contact Mr. Clay Sanderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Participation fees are $80 per year, $40 per semester and the Musical. Rehearsals are in the Zelman Center, Room 301.