I’m putting practice audio files on the blog so Cantamus singers can practice their parts. All the songs except “Aloha Oe” are now on the blog. Download and sing along.
- Ahay Tuburan Soloists: AAT: Peter H., Ben; Katie C.; Jenna, Shannon
- Two Filipino Folk Songs All Girls singing; boys with mouth percussion-type beat boxing
- Ahe Lau Makani Soloists: tenor and alto: Kyle, Lukas, Adam; Anna, Rosalie, Julie, Megan
- Hawaiian Wedding Song Dr. and Mrs. Wolfe (this is an optional song)
- Hukilau All Boys singing; girls, as many as wish, dancing Hukilau Hula
- Aloha ‘Oe Everyone on chorus; verse solos by Melanie, Gabrielle and Annie O.
Costumes for the performance are Hawaiian, of course. Girls: Hawaiian dresses, grass skirts (can be made or purchased). Boys: Hawaiian shirts plus khaki trousers (like your uniform trousers). These items can be found at the Dollar Store or at a second-hand clothing store like Good Will or Gracie’s. Work on this over the break and bring your costume to the first rehearsal after break.
Students who are new to Cantamus must be fitted for their uniforms. Come Thursday, October 7 at 7:45 a.m. so Mrs. Wolfe can fit you and order your uniform. Cost to boys is expected to be under $40; cost to girls is expected to be under $70. We will use these uniforms for all performances after the luau. Families who need assistance in making these purchases, please contact Dr. Wolfe.
The first rehearsal after the break is Thursday, October 21, 7am for all of Cantamus. That’s exactly nine days before the luau, so everyone be there on time!
Men rehearse Thursday morning, bright and early!
THANK YOU to the following parents who have offered to be the COORDINATORS for the Luau!
- MENU – Karin Moffitt
- FOOD Presentation – Kim Ehmann
- SET- UP – Carmina Giandiletti
- CLEAN-UP – Doug Drury
- PUBLICITY – Karin Moffitt
Cantamus Council met 9/30/10. We discussed the following.
- Luau. Council members will be calling their section members to come onto this blog and vote for the time and to volunteer for jobs. We need parents to vote on the time for the luau and to sign up to help. Please see Cantamus Downloads for the links to these polls. You will need your password to access this site.
- Great Hearts Honor Choir. The date, Saturday, February 12, 2011, conflicts with the possible date for our Cantamus trip. The council’s feeling was that they want to do both, so perhaps we need to look for a different date for the trip.
- Cantamus Trip. Educationally valuable experiences include concerts and recording sessions. A recording session similar to the one two years ago is possible. Dr. Wolfe will investigate possibilities for trips once the luau is well under way. A fun time at Disneyland is also in the plan.
Members present: Brandon, Katie C., Lukas, Megan, Melanie, Natalia, Peter B., Philip W.
Go to Cantamus Downloads page (you will need your password) to find out about the luau and how you can help. Your participation — whether you are a parent or a student — will make the luau possible and successful. If we don’t have enough interest to host this event, we’ll cancel it. Vote on the time on October 30 and sign up to help.
We want lots of guests from the TPA community. This event is not just for Cantamus and parents. With your help, we can have a great and memorable time together — and raise funds to help with the anticipated trip spring semester.
Note: Cantamus council meets Thursday, September 30, 3-4pm, Room 302.
Congratulations to Rosalie S. for being chosen to sing the National Anthem at the Varsity football game on October 1! Come and cheer her on!
Luau sign-up will be passed around at tomorrow’s rehearsal. Jobs include food preparation and presentation; set up and clean up; and performance. To benefit from the fund-raising aspect of the luau, you must participate in the performance and at least one other job. If you can’t participate in the October 30 event, you may still be able to benefit, if you participate in behind-the-scenes work.
Rehearsal tomorrow will be the other music: Courtney (“I Been in the Storm So Long”), Shafferman (“Amazing Grace/Canon”), Rutter (“Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind”), and, if we have time, Handel (“Hallelujah), and Gilpin (“Home in that Rock”).
Cantamus Women rehearses on Thursday.
Mr. Hallman has been working with EdOptions to secure a venue for our performances for the year. It’s a much nicer place to perform for most of our events as compared with the Zelman Center, so this is a step up for us, and it also will save us some money for hall rental.
As a result, we will reduce the number of performances for some of our events — EdOptions accommodates a larger audience.
We also now know more of the athletic events (some of the non-TPA organizations do not post their schedules until this late in the year) and we’ve been able to minimize the number of conflicts our wonderful artist/athletes will have to experience.
- 11/29/10: Tech rehearsal for 10th and 11th grade choirs: change time to 6:30 – 8:00 at EdOptions
- 12/1/10 and 12/3/10: These are the new dates for the 10th and 11th grade Choir Concert, featuring Cantamus and Varsity Strings
- 1/20/11: This is the new date for the TPA Chamber Recital (formerly scheduled for 1/13/11)
- 4/4/11: Change the times of the Opera Workshop rehearsals. Also change the dates of the rehearsals to 4/2; 4/4; and 4/5
- 4/6/11: Change the dates of the Opera Workshop performances to 4/6/11 and 4/7/11.
- Change the date of the Recorder Concert from 4/7/11 to 4/1/11.
- Drama rehearsals and performances remain unchanged
Whew! That’s a lot of change! I’ll stress once again that the reasons for the changes are to give our students the best performance opportunities we can, to coordinate a very busy performing arts events calendar, and to enable our students who are both performing artists and athletes the opportunity to enrich their talents in both areas.
Be sure to thank Mr. Hallman for his hard work on this schedule!
For a complete listing of Fine Arts and Extracurricular Performing Arts performances, please see the TPA Calendar linked on the tab above. Choose the Fine Arts filter from the “Select Category” drop down.
Tomorrow Men of Cantamus rehearse, 7am sharp!
Cantamus Council met today for a very brief meeting. Here’s what we quickly discussed:
1. Get-acquainted party – great job Melanie!
2. ASU Workshop – great experience
3. Trip –February 11–13 tentative date; considerations for planning this trip include:
- Educational value: the trip must have some educational value, and may also incorporate fun.
- Board approval: the TPA board must approve any trip we take with TPA students
- Expenses: seniors already have their hands full with senior trip expenses
- Date for the concept: we probably had better plan on Dr. Wolfe presenting this to the board by the October 6 meeting. Before he can do that, he must get headmaster approval.
4. Solo and Ensemble, Regional festivals –
- Deadline for registration is November 10
- Mrs. Joslin is available to help coach singers for sight-singing
5. Luau fund raiser –
- Date of October 2 is too early; perhaps October 30?
- Dr. Wolfe found Islands music; to be learned by small groups
- Plans for food
6. National anthem at game – October 22, homecoming. As many of Cantamus performing as we can have.
Next council meeting: Thursday, September 30, 3:00 p.m., Room 302
I heard some great new music possibilities at the ASU workshop this weekend, so I’ll be looking at some of those titles for Cantamus. I also found two nice Hawaiian pieces and several Filipino folk songs for our luau, coming up on October 2. We’ll have small groups learn these pieces and we’ll decide on who’s singing these pieces on Tuesday morning.
“Luau!?” you say? Come Tuesday to find out more. And start finding those Hawaiian shirts and dresses!
Reminder: the men are rehearsing on Thursday!
Council meeting Wednesday, 3-4, Room 302.
Mr. Maza has asked for singers to perform the National Anthem at our home football games. He also would like a group from Cantamus to perform it at Homecoming, October 22.
Performing the National Anthem at a game comes with a free entry pass for the singers. If you are interested in singing a solo, let me know. According to the TPA Athletics calendar, here are the dates of home games:
- October 1 (Scottsdale Christian)
- October 22 (Homecoming against Bourgade Catholic)
- October 29 (Camp Verde)