All music materials — sheet music, folders, and CDs — are due this week! Check with your directors if you are not certain what to do.
10th and 11th grade music classes — your sheet music, folders, and CDs are due no later than Friday, 12:30 p.m. Unreturned CDs are assessed to your account at $10 per CD; octavos at $2 per item; and an additional charge for a folder not returned.
Extracurricular groups (Junior High Choir, JV Strings, Varsity Strings, TPA Winds, and Cantamus) — your sheet music, as specified by your director, is due on Thursday, 12:30 p.m.
Late fee — if you return your materials after the deadline, whether you are in 10th – 11th grade or an extracurricular group, the fee for the material will be removed from your account and a late fee will replace it.
Get that music in! Time is running out! Don’t forget!
Congratulations to every member of 10th Grade Choir, 11th Grade Choir, Varsity Strings, and Cantamus for an outstanding Mega Concert on Wednesday, December 1. You represented your school so well and created some beautiful music for an audience of approximately 400.
Excerpt from Mr. Hallman’s email to the faculty after the Wednesday evening concert:
For those who may have missed the performances last night, you missed an evening that serves as a great reminder of the magnificent work you all do. I remain in awe of the great performances of our “extracurricular” music groups, but perhaps am more impressed that EVERY student is brought to a level of proficient performance–EVERY student. And together you do this across the board. While most schools and districts have cut such programs, our fine arts programs remain an integral part of what we do and do well…. THANK YOU for … this inspiration.
- No regular rehearsal on Thursday morning (December 9).
- We will resume our regular rehearsals in the spring semester on Tuesday, January 4. We will concentrate on preparing for the chamber recital and the solo and ensemble festival and regional auditions.
- Chamber recital is at TPA Zelman on Thursday, January 20, 7pm. All participants in solo and ensemble festival and regional auditions can expect to perform in the Chamber Recital.
- Solo and Ensemble Festival and Regional Auditions take place on Friday and Saturday, January 28 and 29 at Mountain Ridge High School.
- I hope we’ll also be able to start our music for Fiddler on the Roof at our first spring semester rehearsal! Members of Cantamus will be the chorus in our production, which is scheduled to go up on Wednesday and Thursday, April 6 and 7, 7pm at Ed Options auditorium. Dress rehearsals are Saturday, April 2, 1-4 pm and Monday and Tuesday, April 4 and 5, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Please mark these dates in your calendar now!
Here are the last-minute events leading up to our great concert on December 1, Wednesday.
Monday, November 29
- 8am – Piano in Room 302 is moved to Ed Options
- 12:25pm – Cantamus Camerata rehearses in Room 302
- 2:45pm – Risers moved to Ed Options and set up. Thanks to Mrs. Hartzler for the use of her truck. If you can help, please meet at the faculty house garage!
- 6:30pm – Tech rehearsal for ALL students at Ed Options auditorium
- Note: extra credit invitation slips are due this day
Tuesday, November 30
- 7am – Cantamus final rehearsal in Zelman Center
Wednesday, December 1
- 6pm – Cast call for ALL students at Ed Options auditorium
- 7pm – Concert begins. There will be an intermission and refreshments may be provided at that time. Roll will be taken at the beginning and at the ending of the concert.
- 9pm (approximately) – risers are taken down, loaded in Mrs. Hartzler’s truck, and returned to TPA. If you can help with this, please meet on stage following the rehearsal.
Thursday, December 2
- 8am (approximately) – Piano is returned to Room 302 at TPA.
Hundreds joined in singing “Hallelujah” at a Philadelphia Macy’s, accompanied by the “world’s largest pipe organ.” Apparently, The Opera Company of Philadelphia was instrumental in hosting this event.
To hear this remarkable Random Act of Culture….
Students in music classes this semester can earn extra credit by inviting at least two families to the December 1 concert. Use the invitation here:
For credit, submit to your music teacher the bottom part of the form, affirming that you’ve invited your two households. Due date: November 29 in music class. Note: students must distribute their invitations by November 24 to get extra credit.
To see the list of the students who signed up for Regional Auditions and Solo and Ensemble Festival, click here:
Solo_and_Ensemble_Festival_Regional_Auditions_Participants.pdf (257.8 KiB)
Students listed as “Ensemble Singers” may be assigned to more or fewer groups, as needed to produce a great performance. We will settle the personnel in each of the ensembles over the next few weeks. We’ll also establish the repertoire for each group.
Thanks for a great sign-up, with hardly any arm-twisting from your directors!
Wednesday is the due date for you to turn in your registration form to your director. If you want to participate in Regional Auditions, or if you want to play or sing for Solo and Ensemble Festival, download this form, complete it, and turn it in to your director by Wednesday, 4:00 p.m. Note: parents need to sign this! Note: the form is no longer available because the deadline has passed.
- Vocalists: Cantamus, directed by Dr. Wolfe
- Strings: Varsity Strings, directed by Mrs. Wilkison
- Winds: TPA Winds, directed by Ms. Hanson
Thanks to our wonderful faculty, I’ve been able to arrange a schedule for combined rehearsals during the school day. All combined rehearsals take place in Room 301, the Zelman Center. Find your section and look at your schedule:
- 11/9/10 – Period 1
- 11/12/10 – Period 2
- 11/16/10 – Period 5
- 11/19/10 – Period 5
- 11/22/10 – Period 6
- 10a 11/9/10 – Period 2 go to Algebra in Room 302
- 10a 11/16/10 – Period 2 go to Physics in Room 506
- 10a 11/19/10 – Period 2 go to Physics in Room 506
- 10b 11/12/10 – Period 1 go to Physics in Room 302
- 10b 11/16/10 – Period 1 go to Algebra in Room 301
- 10b 11/19/10 – Period 1 go to Algebra in Room 301
- Mrs. Stoyanoff’s 6th period class goes to Room 505 for period 2 on 11/16/10 and 11/19/10
- 11/9/10 – Period 3
- 11/12/10 – Period 4
- 11/16/10 – Period 6
- 11/19/10 – Period 5
- 11/22/10 – Period 6
All students (including Varsity Strings and Cantamus) – Monday, November 29, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. at EdOptions. This will be our only tech rehearsal. Every student is required for to be there for every minute of this rehearsal.
The performance is Wednesday, December 1, 7:00 p.m. Cast call is 6:00 p.m. for all performers. Performance attire required.
For more detail, see TPA online calendar and click on the event.
To download a sortable, Word document in table form of the in-class rehearsals, click here:
Find your part and sing along. The tempo is not bad.
Note: There’s no substitute for reading your score as you sing!
Thanks to Annie for sending me this link.