Tomorrow Men of Cantamus rehearse, 7am sharp!
Cantamus Council met today for a very brief meeting. Here’s what we quickly discussed:
1. Get-acquainted party – great job Melanie!
2. ASU Workshop – great experience
3. Trip –February 11–13 tentative date; considerations for planning this trip include:
- Educational value: the trip must have some educational value, and may also incorporate fun.
- Board approval: the TPA board must approve any trip we take with TPA students
- Expenses: seniors already have their hands full with senior trip expenses
- Date for the concept: we probably had better plan on Dr. Wolfe presenting this to the board by the October 6 meeting. Before he can do that, he must get headmaster approval.
4. Solo and Ensemble, Regional festivals –
- Deadline for registration is November 10
- Mrs. Joslin is available to help coach singers for sight-singing
5. Luau fund raiser –
- Date of October 2 is too early; perhaps October 30?
- Dr. Wolfe found Islands music; to be learned by small groups
- Plans for food
6. National anthem at game – October 22, homecoming. As many of Cantamus performing as we can have.
Next council meeting: Thursday, September 30, 3:00 p.m., Room 302
I heard some great new music possibilities at the ASU workshop this weekend, so I’ll be looking at some of those titles for Cantamus. I also found two nice Hawaiian pieces and several Filipino folk songs for our luau, coming up on October 2. We’ll have small groups learn these pieces and we’ll decide on who’s singing these pieces on Tuesday morning.
“Luau!?” you say? Come Tuesday to find out more. And start finding those Hawaiian shirts and dresses!
Reminder: the men are rehearsing on Thursday!
Council meeting Wednesday, 3-4, Room 302.
Mr. Maza has asked for singers to perform the National Anthem at our home football games. He also would like a group from Cantamus to perform it at Homecoming, October 22.
Performing the National Anthem at a game comes with a free entry pass for the singers. If you are interested in singing a solo, let me know. According to the TPA Athletics calendar, here are the dates of home games:
- October 1 (Scottsdale Christian)
- October 22 (Homecoming against Bourgade Catholic)
- October 29 (Camp Verde)
Thanks to Mrs. Hankins, Mrs. Begley, Mrs. Drury, Mrs. Qian, Mrs. Attridge, Mrs. Looker, and Mrs. Ashton for signing up to bring snacks to our Tuesday rehearsals!
If your student is in Cantamus and you have not yet signed up, please look at the online sign-up. Choose a date that’s convenient for you to bring snacks before rehearsal. Reward the kids who get there early! For complete directions, please see the sign-up link.
Cantamus, Tuesday, 9/14/10: Gilpin, Shafferman, Billings, Rutter, others as time permits
Women, Thursday, 9/16/10: Singh, Porterfield, Rutter, Courtney
Next council meeting: Wednesday, 9/22/10, 3-4pm, Room 302
If you sing tenor, there’s still room for you at the ASU Choral Workshop for select local high school students. I reserved space for two quartets (SATB) and so far I have room for one tenor. If you are interested, please let me know via email or in class or in rehearsal. I need to know no later than Thursday afternoon. (I’m opening this to qualified juniors who are in music class right now.) The workshop is free to TPA students!
Go to Cantamus Downloads to see the list of people who have told me they are going.
The workshop is Saturday, September 18, from 8:30 – 4:00. (Ending time is approximate.) The workshop is led by Gregory Gentry, Director of Choral Performance at ASU as well as Dr. Evan Tobias of ASU, and choral graduate students. The day will be devoted to singing and choral excellence. In addition to choral rehearsals, the day includes performances by Men’s Chorus, Vocal jazz, ensemble, and Symphonic Chorale. You will have the opportunity to request a voice lesson with one of the ASU voice faculty.
Students provide their own transportation to and from the workshop. The free Jupiter Orbit bus goes right by the ASU music building, which is how I plan to get there since I don’t like hassling with parking on the ASU campus.
The men will be rehearsing on Thursday, September 9, 7am. See all of you gentlemen then!
Thanks to Philip, Gennaro, Melanie, and Sara for leading sectionals this morning!
Click here to see the password-protected pictures from the party on Cantamus Downloads. If you don’t have your password, contact Dr. Wolfe.
All of Cantamus rehearses every Tuesday this quarter.
Our rehearsals on Thursdays will be for men’s and women’s sectionals.
Rehearsal schedule for Thursdays this quarter are subject to change. Listen for announcements, check the blog. Meanwhile, here’s the schedule so far:
- 9/9/10: Men
- 9/16/10: Women
- 9/23/10: Men
- 9/30/10: Women
- 10/7/10: Men
- 10/14/10: Break, no rehearsal
Remember: Cantamus rehearses every Tuesday, 7am sharp!
Friday, September 3 at the Matsumoto home
Council met 9/1/10, 3-4pm, Room 302
Members present: Peter Beguhl, Brandon Ashton, Philip Wolfe, Megan Begley, Melanie Whitaker, Katie Cerino, Natalia Hankins, Lukas Attridge
1. Get-acquainted party plans – Melanie reported that plans have come together for the party; everyone is to bring a snack to share.
2. ASU Workshop – September 18; now open to juniors and sophomores in Cantamus
3. Trip – two dates are being considered: February 11–13; January 21–23. Destination undecided
4. Solo and Ensemble, Regional festivals – Dr. Wolfe will ask Mrs. Joslin (artist formerly known as Miss Benitez) about helping prepare students for the sight-singing component
5. Luau fund raiser – this idea surfaced during the meeting and not really discussed; tabled until next meeting
Next council meeting: Wednesday, September 22, 3:00 p.m., Room 302